Destination America Cancels Impact

Discuss the latest happenings in GFW. Share your thoughts, opinions, etc...
meta
Title Contender

Re: Destination America Cancels Impact

Post by meta » Mon May 25, 2015 8:27 pm

$50 and a pack of gum.

Big slim
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jamel727

Post by Big slim » Mon May 25, 2015 8:41 pm

With that, Panda could still see their buying of TNA as a net positive.

Jamel Watson (Big slim) - Executive Vice President of Talent Relations

Check out my new blog, Macho Mars at www.machomars.blog!

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Mon May 25, 2015 10:31 pm

To my knowledge, TNA hasn't made a dollar in live shows since January and the UK Tour.

It's such a low value brand and doesn't make any money. I can see WWE eventually buying the tape library, I just don't think they'll be urgently going for it when TNA does kick the bucket and that day seems to be coming rapidly.

It is quite amazing when you look at all the talent TNA had for years and still couldn't become even a remotely viable or competitive alternative to WWE. It was a completely mismanaged brand from a business sense the moment of its inception.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Wed May 27, 2015 1:56 pm

Well then.

Apparently they're going to the timeslot one hour ahead of Impact's new slot on Wednesday's. Impact is still being cancelled though, apparently.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Wed May 27, 2015 2:01 pm

TNA didn't even have the business sense to have an exclusivity clause? L.o.l.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

Greg_McNeish
Twitter: GregMcNeishWV

Post by Greg_McNeish » Wed May 27, 2015 2:30 pm

Press release from Destination America specifically mentions TNA, and that they'll be running as a block. I guess the decision was made that if the existing advertisers don't want to commit to wrestling, but Impact is (by far, I think) their top rated program, then fuck it: double down on wrestling, and bring in new advertisers, that DO want to be seen by all them eye balls.

At this moment, I feel this is a supportive step for TNA, not a nail in the coffin.

Greg McNeish - Grand Chancellor

Robmayn
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: sRobXMayneZe

Post by Robmayn » Wed May 27, 2015 2:34 pm

Dat Dixie. Guess it is enough for her to stop playing little Business Dollhouse with Daddy's money. Good for Ring of Honor, though. Lucha Underground, ROH and GFW on the way, TNA has to first defeat the small boys, and it is having trouble even with that.

If ROH gets a superior reaction than TNA, they can just ditch the time TNA has after the contract is up and give it to ROH. They have only one more chance, that's it.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Wed May 27, 2015 3:38 pm

It's fun that you're framing this as TNA vs. the littler guys, when the biggest complaint anyone can have is that there isn't enough wrestling product on tv. They don't have to beat each other. They can share the market and grow together

Brandon Morrison - Chief of Staff and Forum Attaché to the Grand Chancellor

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Wed May 27, 2015 3:40 pm

Greg_McNeish wrote:Press release from Destination America specifically mentions TNA, and that they'll be running as a block. I guess the decision was made that if the existing advertisers don't want to commit to wrestling, but Impact is (by far, I think) their top rated program, then fuck it: double down on wrestling, and bring in new advertisers, that DO want to be seen by all them eye balls.

At this moment, I feel this is a supportive step for TNA, not a nail in the coffin.
This seems solely like an idea to get TNA's audience hooked on ROH, not the other way around.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Wed May 27, 2015 3:43 pm

At this point, TNA is a little guy. There's been no mention from Discovery America that they're extending anything with TNA, just that RoH is going to be in the timeslot before them for now.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Wed May 27, 2015 3:44 pm

If the wrestling block proves profitable, they don't have to opt-out of the contract with TNA. This is definitely an opportunity for TNA to find more footing. It'll be really hard for ROH to be successful without TNA gaining some of the benefits.

This can't hurt TNA, any more than they already are hurt

Brandon Morrison - Chief of Staff and Forum Attaché to the Grand Chancellor

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Wed May 27, 2015 3:51 pm

Best fucking picture ever. It's too big for the forum but behind the link is nothing but greatness.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/27 ... 0d1b1d.jpg

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Wed May 27, 2015 3:51 pm

"TNA had Spud scheduled to do interviews today to promote this Friday's episode of Impact but the entire tour was canceled minutes ago." PWI

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Wed May 27, 2015 4:22 pm

It looks like ROH is going to air before TNA and after TNA. Don't be surprised if there are many more replays of ROH throughout the week as well.

On its face, this is a really shrewd deal for both ROH and Destination America. The length on the deal has not been confirmed yet but there has been speculation that it will run to the end of the year.

Destination America doesn't have to put out any money in regards to producing TNA because they are airing repeats of ROH's syndicated shows. There were rumors that Dixie sent an email accidentally to DA officials calling them dummies but that has never been substantiated. But TNA not being able to generate the advertising DA wants (from consistent DA advertisers and non-advertisers) has been the driving force behind getting TNA off the network according to Meltzer.

ROH goes into 57 million more possible homes (though I'm not sure if that's how many get DA or just have the option of getting DA) and all they have to do is tape TV that they were going to do anyway. ROH has already recently invested in new lighting equipment that should see its production values improve. So that doesn't even need to be paid for by DA.

There is a conference call with TNA wrestlers and TNA officials today at 3:00 pm, there hasn't been word yet as to what's going on there. But the word is TNA had no idea that ROH and DA had been in talks to get ROH onto the network according to Bryan Alvarez. While it is possible that this move could be done to help aid TNA, it doesn't check any boxes to make me think this is done with the intent to aid TNA.

1. TNA costs DA a lot of money to air (since they don't make a dollar on their own) and TNA has reportedly asked them for more money in helping them shoot Slammiversary for PPV. TNA heaps a lot of cost onto DA, and with ad rates down, causes discontent between TNA and DA.

2. ROH is a significantly cheaper option to TNA because as I mentioned earlier, DA is going to have minimal expenses since they are airing ROH repeats and ROH has already spent money on their improved lighting set.

3. By airing replays of ROH and not TNA, and sandwiching TNA in between ROH replays, leads me to think that DA is hoping for one specific thing. To get TNA fans interested in the ROH product, those who arrive early and those who stay late.

4. All the other programming apart from Impact have been taken off DA and episodes are not even airing in the proper order (like last week, DA made a unilateral decision to not air Impact to instead air Slammiversary 2014).

5. Given that no one in TNA knew about ROH negotiating with DA for air time on the network, leads me to believe, when considering all these events that TNA is on the way out, ROH is in for now but may end up out at the end of the year, that will be wait and see.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

Big slim
Hall Of Famer

Post by Big slim » Thu May 28, 2015 12:38 am

This seems like DA is ready for the break up but they don't want to pull the trigger until they have something new lined up.

I'm curious how guys like The Hardys and Kurt Angle feel about the constant state of unsureness of TNA's tv status and as a company on the whole.

meta
Title Contender

Post by meta » Thu May 28, 2015 8:43 am

Jeff Hardy to WWE NOW!

Big slim
Hall Of Famer

Post by Big slim » Thu May 28, 2015 1:33 pm

What a shitty operation TNA has been.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu May 28, 2015 3:00 pm

The biggest obstacle TNA has faced on its quest for success has been itself.

Greg_McNeish
Twitter: GregMcNeishWV

Post by Greg_McNeish » Fri May 29, 2015 11:08 am

Written earlier today, on Facebook, in response to questions about why Destination America would want to bring in ROH, when TNA has proven so alienating to advertisers:

Wrestling has had a negative advertising bias on television since TV was invented. That includes WWE. It's one of the most successful television shows in history, but gets only tepid interest from major brands. USA is pulling in only a fraction of what they would for any other show with similar viewership numbers. That's just a reality of televised wrestling.

So, then, why would a TV network want to air wrestling? It's because wrestling fans are rabid, loyal, and tune in with almost alarming regularity. So, what are the commercial breaks full of, since advertisers don't want to be a part of wrestling? Promos for OTHER shows on the network. WWE gets millions of people to tune to USA Network for 3 hours, every Monday, and USA does everything it can to get those people to watch other shows they air, where they DO get advertisers. For anyone that watched Impact on Spike, you'll know that seemingly 90% of the commercials they aired were for other shows on Spike.

That's what Destination America is looking for from ROH. They're hoping that ROH can bring in similar viewer numbers to TNA, at a fraction of the cost, so that they can fill all those eyeballs with advertisements for Alaskan Alien Ghost BBQ, or whatever.

Anyone that's worked retail will be familiar with the concept of a loss leader. That's when you sell a product at a loss in order to attract customers (so that they will buy other things where you do make a profit). When it's done right, you come out ahead. When the leader is losing too much, or not converting enough customers onto other products, then you're in trouble. TNA Impact is proving to be a poor loss leader for Destination America; with the lower cost (loss), DA hopes ROH will be able to help them turn an OVERALL profit.

That's what wrestling – including WWE – has always been for television networks. Nothing is bizarre about this situation. Heck, even having them run together as a block, while transitioning from one company to another, has been done before. Check out the history of Black Saturday, and the television wars that took place in the 1980s, as syndicated wrestling exploded nationally.

Greg McNeish - Grand Chancellor

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Fri May 29, 2015 2:42 pm

From the front page:
WrestleView.com wrote:Dave Meltzer, the original source of last week's story that Destination America would not be renewing Impact Wrestling later this year at the end of the third quarter, has released the memo issued within Discovery Communications in the latest Wrestling Observer Newsletter.

As noted in the originally sourced reports, the memo had been sent out prior to both TNA and Destination America announcing a timeslot change from Friday to Wednesday night.

The memo read as follows.

"Destination America is not renewing TNA Wrestling next year. While the ratings were strong, the audience was not large enough to justify the program investment. We plan to honor the current contract and continue to air original episodes of TNA Wrestling on Friday nights through the end of the third quarter 2015. When the up-front rate card is released, the Friday night anthology title will now be called 'American Tales,' which will be a combination of Paranormal and Americana programming. I hope this is good news given all of the advertisers that included TNA on their DNA list."

The "DNA list" referred to in the memo above is the Do Not Advertise list.

TNA officials have either denied the original report was true or declined to comment.
It's really starting to look more like Red's forecast than yours, Greg.