Destination America Cancels Impact

Discuss the latest happenings in Impact Wrestling. Share your thoughts, opinions, etc...
isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Re: Destination America Cancels Impact

Post by isrs4life » Fri May 29, 2015 3:30 pm

How the heck did ROH get a tv deal also with Destination America
that there is a first

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Fri May 29, 2015 5:09 pm

Greg_McNeish wrote:Written earlier today, on Facebook, in response to questions about why Destination America would want to bring in ROH, when TNA has proven so alienating to advertisers:
Because they still want to get involved with wrestling, the problem is TNA doesn't appear to be the type of wrestling they want to be associated with.
So, then, why would a TV network want to air wrestling? It's because wrestling fans are rabid, loyal, and tune in with almost alarming regularity. So, what are the commercial breaks full of, since advertisers don't want to be a part of wrestling? Promos for OTHER shows on the network. WWE gets millions of people to tune to USA Network for 3 hours, every Monday, and USA does everything it can to get those people to watch other shows they air, where they DO get advertisers. For anyone that watched Impact on Spike, you'll know that seemingly 90% of the commercials they aired were for other shows on Spike.
I agree with this in re: to wrestling fans. But that's why there hasn't been a viable #2 against WWE since WCW fell off a cliff in 1999.
That's what Destination America is looking for from ROH. They're hoping that ROH can bring in similar viewer numbers to TNA, at a fraction of the cost, so that they can fill all those eyeballs with advertisements for Alaskan Alien Ghost BBQ, or whatever.
See, there is where we disagree most. With how cheap ROH is going to be for Destination America, it seems like a direct attempt from Destination America to cut costs with the wrestling they air. If ROH even does average DA numbers and the DA advertisers are fine with the product ROH airs, then there's no incentive for them to keep TNA, who they are funding in part.

There's been rumors that TNA has asked DA for a subsidy to help them with Slammiversary next month. TNA hasn't made a single dollar on live shows since they came back from the UK in January. They don't make any money, and since they are costing DA money to put on, DA is exploring other options. How can we have wrestling but not alienate advertisers and not have to spend for it? Ring of Honor appears to be the obvious answer.
Anyone that's worked retail will be familiar with the concept of a loss leader. That's when you sell a product at a loss in order to attract customers (so that they will buy other things where you do make a profit). When it's done right, you come out ahead. When the leader is losing too much, or not converting enough customers onto other products, then you're in trouble. TNA Impact is proving to be a poor loss leader for Destination America; with the lower cost (loss), DA hopes ROH will be able to help them turn an OVERALL profit.
If ROH is so cheap though and TNA is costing them more money than they were willing to invest, why not just cut the cord with TNA and leave ROH on the network and fill TNA's slot with something different?

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

Greg_McNeish
Twitter: GregMcNeishWV

Post by Greg_McNeish » Sat May 30, 2015 11:14 am

I think you're misconstruing that post as being defensive of TNA, or giving reasons for DA to hang onto them. That's not at all the case. Everything I said there was exclusively explaining why Destination America would want to bring in ROH, given that TNA has been a failure. It in no way negates TNA being a failure.

Where we do have disagreement is when it comes to the advertisers. I'd wager that none of those companies know anything about TNA's product, or will give a second thought to ROH's. They don't want to be associated with wrestling, because it's a stigmatized industry. The change in wrestling product doesn't at all affect that. The hope isn't that ROH will be more favourable to advertisers; the hope is that ROH will be at least similarly effective as TNA at bringing new viewers to the network (and potentially increasing network availability), at a fraction of the cost. As you've laid out, TNA needs to be actively propped up by mountains of cash, and ROH doesn't. That's the benefit for Destination America, full stop.

And yes, I'm conceding the point on the possibility of TNA getting a brief window of new life from this move. It's becoming increasingly clear that they are done like dinner.

Good fucking riddance.

Greg McNeish - Grand Chancellor

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Sat May 30, 2015 9:17 pm

Oh I think you misunderstood or maybe I did not properly clarify our disagreement. But even if ROH had the same advertising problems, Destination America would still come out ahead in the most likely scenarios given what they have to invest in TNA.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sat May 30, 2015 9:57 pm

Red, according to the Birthday bar on this page, you are now 27, if this is true, then HAPPY BIRTHDAY RED AND YELLOW!!

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Sun May 31, 2015 8:57 am

Red_And_Yellow wrote:Oh I think you misunderstood or maybe I did not properly clarify our disagreement. But even if ROH had the same advertising problems, Destination America would still come out ahead in the most likely scenarios given what they have to invest in TNA.
Ah, when you said we disagree, I figured it meant there was something we don't agree on. Seems that there isn't.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Sun May 31, 2015 2:03 pm

El Canuck wrote:Red, according to the Birthday bar on this page, you are now 27, if this is true, then HAPPY BIRTHDAY RED AND YELLOW!!
I am now 27. OLDER. WISER.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Sun May 31, 2015 2:05 pm

Greg_McNeish wrote:
Red_And_Yellow wrote:Oh I think you misunderstood or maybe I did not properly clarify our disagreement. But even if ROH had the same advertising problems, Destination America would still come out ahead in the most likely scenarios given what they have to invest in TNA.
Ah, when you said we disagree, I figured it meant there was something we don't agree on. Seems that there isn't.
We do disagree to the extent that you think ROH being a lead in for TNA is a good thing. It's not a good thing for them on DA, maybe it helps them get a new network with better numbers (if that happens). But this would be the 2nd time they are canceled and viewers dropping under 400k at this point, not sure that the demand from other networks will be as high as before.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Sun May 31, 2015 2:35 pm

Greg_McNeish wrote:And yes, I'm conceding the point on the possibility of TNA getting a brief window of new life from this move. It's becoming increasingly clear that they are done like dinner.

Good fucking riddance.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:49 pm

There's expected to be bad news dropping about TNA imminently tonight. Don't know what it is but they have Slammiversary on PPV this Sunday and are scheduled to begin TV tapings tomorrow at Universal Studios.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:13 pm

Imminently may be a stretch, but it is anticipated to drop in the next 24 hours.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:42 pm

What's your source on this anyhow? There's no mention of it on the main page.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:45 am

It's being hinted at on F4W's board by one of the site's writers and Court Bauer has made mention of it on Twitter I believe.

My guess is TNA is losing their UK TV Deal, but we can only speculate at this point.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

Big slim
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jamel727

Post by Big slim » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:20 pm

I think they just lost their Australia tv deal as well. Not to mention, guys are starting to look for thw door and somewhere to work. The rats are getting off the sinking ship.

Jamel Watson (Big slim) - Executive Vice President of Talent Relations

Check out my new blog, Macho Mars at www.machomars.blog!

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:03 am

Since Spoilers are fair game in the TNA Forum,

Jeff Jarrett returned at the TV Tapings and is going to be in the Reverse Ladder Match on Sunday at Slammiversary.

Wasn't really bad news I think.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:33 am

It's weird seeing all the second-tier promotions in America playing nice with each other. Easy to see the benefit for Jarrett & GFW, with free publicity in front of the combined TNA/ROH audience, but hard to see how this play works for TNA. Jarrett's not going to move numbers for them.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:18 am

What WOULD move numbers for TNA anymore?

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:38 am

Likely nothing. They're status quo isn't actively harmful, though, which bringing in Jarrett has the potential to be. Just treading water won't get you anywhere, but flailing around in the desperate hope of making it to land is the surest way to drown.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:21 am

Therein is the problem though. TNA has actively burned itself so badly with its poor product over the years that no matter what they do now, (If you take what the reviewers on the mainpage are saying, it's actually a decent product right now) they won't generate new viewers. They squandered every last drop of goodwill they had and the name itself, which should be a drawing point, is friggin' toxic by this point. I know Jarrett still has some minor stake in the company and perhaps his launch of GFW didn't go as well as planned, but fuck, the last thing he should want is to have his brand new, shiny company with a brand new name immediately tainted by association with TNA.

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:38 pm

I'm not really sure what you're driving at, on the TNA front. As you note, they get pretty solid reviews, with their current product, and anyone that's still hanging on now is a lifer. It cannot grow, but putting on a satisfying show for their audience is treading water, which decidedly beats drowning. Having a special appearance by Jeff Jarrett, or Billy Corgan, or a one-night return by Bully Ray, or et cetera, is flailing around trying to grow, but only succeeding in being the last straw for another handful of viewers.

Doing nothing is the only non-negative thing they can do. Positive isn't a thing they can consider, and hasn't been for a long time.