Matt Hardy your new tna world champ

Discuss the latest happenings in GFW. Share your thoughts, opinions, etc...
Big slim
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jamel727

Re: Matt Hardy your new tna world champ

Post by Big slim » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:40 pm

So where are in agreement about deporting them from this continent?

Jamel Watson (Big slim) - Executive Vice President of Talent Relations

Check out my new blog, Macho Mars at www.machomars.blog!

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:52 pm

OH no, not at all. I'm saying someone in the UK with the money to invest should make an effort to fill in the gap left by TNA. I think it's time TNA joins the illustrious ranks of the WBF, XFL, WHA and WCCW in the land of forgotten televised sports (and/or entertainment) promotions.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

Greg_McNeish
Twitter: GregMcNeishWV

Post by Greg_McNeish » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:35 am

I'm in favour of TNAGTFO

Greg McNeish - Grand Chancellor

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:50 pm

I havnt watched tna all year since angle won the title to bad impact was on youtube still for
Canada but I don't have the fight network it was cool to view it on youtube when I found out
about it but for all year not watching tna well I feel different.

Big slim
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jamel727

Post by Big slim » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:48 pm

I still say we deport Dixie and company.

Jamel Watson (Big slim) - Executive Vice President of Talent Relations

Check out my new blog, Macho Mars at www.machomars.blog!

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:11 am

And take Vince Russo with 'em too, just to be on the safe side.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:20 pm

El Canuck wrote:OH no, not at all. I'm saying someone in the UK with the money to invest should make an effort to fill in the gap left by TNA. I think it's time TNA joins the illustrious ranks of the WBF, XFL, WHA and WCCW in the land of forgotten televised sports (and/or entertainment) promotions.
The problem is TNA's popularity in the UK has depleted greatly. It's not nearly as good as it once was.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:35 pm

Still more popular over there than they had any right to be.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: AndyF1069

Post by AndyF1069 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:50 pm

They were popular here because of the names they had. Christian (Cage), Rhyno, Team 3D, Scott Steiner etc. It's not a coincidence that the sharp drop in popularity has occurred at the same time as all the well known names leaving.
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:15 pm

Thought I read somewhere that TNA is down to like 100k viewers on Challenge TV or whatever channel they are on in the UK. Why invest in that?

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:16 pm

El Canuck wrote:OH no, not at all. I'm saying someone in the UK with the money to invest should make an effort to fill in the gap left by TNA. I think it's time TNA joins the illustrious ranks of the WBF, XFL, WHA and WCCW in the land of forgotten televised sports (and/or entertainment) promotions.
Not TNA itself. Let that go belly up. When TNA is gone, a person or persons with the money to invest in a wrestling promotion in the U.K. could have a hungry market to capitalise on.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:34 pm

You can make your statement bigger, but it doesn't change what you said at all. I'm saying why should someone in the UK invest into rectifying this promotion? It's valueless.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:12 pm

You're right, it doesn't change what I'm saying, it highlights it, but you're still missing it entirely. I'm not saying they should invest in TNA, I'm saying they should invest in the GAP LEFT WHEN TNA IS GONE.

NOT TNA

I'm talking about investing in a product that is in no way shape or form TNA, but one that is located in the UK that can tap into the hungry market of wrestling fans that will be eager for a product that is willing to provide them with regular, live entertainment on a sizable platform with TV exposure.

This product would NOT BE TNA in any way shape or form, but a new entity entirely.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:15 pm

That gap is already filled by NXT, as evidenced by 5 minute or less sell outs across most tv tapings. The argument that it's WWE doesn't fit since there's no big names and only one show will be televised. The wrestling fans went crazy for a wrestling product. No indie fed in the UK comes close to what NXT can offer. With the success of this tour, it's very likely that NXT will visit twice a year in the future, which is about the same as what TNA did.
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:24 pm

Once again though, not what I'm arguing for. NXT is an American based company. I'm saying that a UK based company with similar television exposure to TNA could fill that gap and provide regular shows to the UK (and beyond into Europe) fans that are starving for big time wrestling.*

*This product WOULD NOT BE TNA, I am in no way endorsing or encouraging that ANYONE ANYWHERE invest in TNA.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:41 pm

AndyF1069 wrote: No indie fed in the UK comes close to what NXT can offer.
Indie Wrestling is barely a thing here. I've seen one advertisement for local wrestling in the last 3 years and I'm 30 minutes away from Manchester, the second most important city in the country. World of Sport was a thing because it had househould names like Big Daddy and Max Crabtree. Going to see the wrestling used to be a thing to do in the 50s and 60s. My mother thinks wrestling is the stupidest thing out there but she still remembers my grandmother taking her and all my aunts to see it.

The UK is also huge on nostalgia across all genres. World of Sport wrestling was as popular as it was because of the big names that kids would used to see live, and as adults could now watch on TV. And amazingly, when they stopped appearing on tv in the 80s after about 20 years, World of Sport ended up ceasing production. As I said earlier, TNA was so big here because of all the nostalgia of the 90s superstars.

No indie fed has enough name value for any tv company here to give any amount of time too, there are no draws. TNA would literally be advertised as "see all your old favourites such as Sting, Hulk Hogan and (whoever else)" on television. For the Nostalgia crowd, there's nothing out there. For the wrestling crowd who want more than WWE once or twice a year (based on touring locations), NXT has filled the spot that TNA had, as I said in my post above.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:58 pm

I never said an indy promotion. I'm talking about hypothetical investors with the available financial assets to invest in producing a TV product with production values, television exposure and starting gate talent comparable to a major promotion that would be BASED in the UK.*

*This product WOULD NOT BE TNA, I am in no way endorsing or encouraging that ANYONE ANYWHERE invest in TNA.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:14 pm

And nowhere in my post did I mention it being TNA. I mentioned the reasons for TNA being as big as it was here in the 2000s. I also strengthened my point by comparing to the last major tv company (the closest thing to the hypothetical you are suggesting) and what the two had in common. I have not suggested that this be a TNA replacement. I have mentioned there being two types of wrestling fan in the UK, Nostalgia fans and Wrestling fans. I used TWO examples, one being TNA, one being World of Sport.

The Wrestling fans would watch TNA because of the talent available, such as the x division guys or the likes of Joe, AJ and Daniels. The Nostalgia fans would watch because of the feels of seeing their old favourites. It's exactly the same with World of Sport.

I never mentioned anywhere about current TNA talent being used in this hypothetical new promotion, I merely used TNA as an example as part of the points I am making. Fans never watched TNA because it was TNA. They didn't watch World of Sport because it was World of Sport. The same isn't true with WWE, some fans watch because it is WWE which is why I'm not using them as a comparison. If you have to continue to mention that the product would not be TNA then I'm clearly wasting my time in this conversation.

So lets pretend there's an upstart promotion with money and tv. The only way for it to work as a tv show will be to have names that people care about. The only way for it to work as a wrestling live event will be to have fantastic wrestling that people know by reputation alone will be a great show. I don't see any company having both ever forming in the UK.

But luckily we have NXT to look forward to now.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:47 pm

The disclaimer is in there so no one mistakes my intentions as endorsement for anyone investing in TNA. Not you in particular, just making sure that no one keeps thinking I'm endorsing investment in TNA.

In this scenario we're both understanding, I propose that with the soon-to-be empty timeslot, the current pool of ex-WWE wrestlers and the soon to be unemployed TNA wrestlers, you take a few of them either from or willing to relocate to the UK (Drew MacIntyre and Mason Ryan for instance), combine them with the existing pool of talented, young, upcoming indy workers of the UK and try to make a go of it where there's an audience eager to soak up the entertainment. It's all 100% hypothetical and there would be a great deal of actual finagling involved to make that happen, all I'm saying, is that the market is there, provided you get some recognizable name talent to come in on at least a part time basis (Someone like John Morrison, Matt Hardy, Rey Mysterio, etc.) to help boost the product.

Greg_McNeish
Twitter: GregMcNeishWV

Post by Greg_McNeish » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:18 am

I've always argued that the rabid hunger people talk about with UK's wrestling market is a product of the starvation they live under, and not a sustainable demand. They fill arenas a couple times a year (and TNA doesn't fill 'em) because they don't have the regularity of access to live wrestling that other places do. Look at the markets that WWE runs more than once or twice a year, and you'll see that they coincide exactly with the cities that have the most bustling indy wrestling scenes. If the UK had a market for more regular live wrestling, it would be evident in a thriving indy scene. It's not evident, because it's not there.

Greg McNeish - Grand Chancellor