"Last Film you watched" chain

Movies, Video Games, TV, more.
eobversion1

Re: "Last Film you watched" chain

Post by eobversion1 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:24 pm

I liked Black Panther so much. Some of the generic blockbuster action really spoiled it for me. It's like hey here's a really great movie but here are some obligatory parts that drag down the artistry.

“What a strange girl you are. Flung out of space.....”

Mafwanix
Title Contender

Post by Mafwanix » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:13 pm

eobversion1 wrote: Some of the generic blockbuster action really spoiled it for me.
This is a statement that confuses me. Is it a positive or negative comment? Please clarify, thanks.

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:32 pm

Ahh of all people they decided to remake Death Wish now with Bruce Willis as Paul Kersey that I saw a preview of last night...

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:40 pm

Mafwanix wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:13 pm
eobversion1 wrote: Some of the generic blockbuster action really spoiled it for me.
This is a statement that confuses me. Is it a positive or negative comment? Please clarify, thanks.
I was reacting in the sense that large swathes of the movie have such an inspired, authentic and original voice that the seemingly mandated manufactured Hollywood action scenes dragged down the experience of the movie for me. It's not too much of the movie thankfully just a bit in the middle and a few bits towards the end.

Mafwanix
Title Contender

Post by Mafwanix » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:46 pm

^^
OK, I understand that. I guess as a Marvel film, certain conventions are to be expected.

I haven't been watching any movies much lately. I started watching The Big Sick, an Amazon movie up for an academy award, but fell asleep half way through. Not my kind of movie, bored me completely. Probably make a good date movie/chick flick.

Little Jimmy
Hall Of Famer

Post by Little Jimmy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:52 pm

I recommend Future Man for who anyone who has Hulu. I can't get it in Canada but was still able to see the show. Absolutely hilarious.

Little Jimmy
Hall Of Famer

Post by Little Jimmy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:39 pm

Wrong thread, sorry.

Little Jimmy
Hall Of Famer

Post by Little Jimmy » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:59 pm

Waco
Altered Carbon
The Walking Dead
Counterpart
Future Man
The X-Files
American Crime Story
The Tick

Little Jimmy
Hall Of Famer

Post by Little Jimmy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:09 pm

Fuck, I just noticed I did it again. It's funny cause I thought I double-checked.

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:23 pm

I rewatched Batman Forever :!:

Which I havnt seen in a long time and it worked because I recently bought it :) 8-)

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:15 pm

Nice

Great to see Blade Runner 2049 and Phantom Thread appreciated at the Oscars. Truly unique films from last year worthy of recognition.

Mafwanix
Title Contender

Post by Mafwanix » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:06 pm

Is "unique" a good word to describe a sequel? A pedantic point, I'll grant.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017)

I got to see this recently. Wow, I really liked this film! I've always liked the stuff Luc Besson has done, even if the stories are a bit flawed. This film really pulled me in, but I'll admit the story kinda pffted out about 2/3 in, and the pacing got thrown off. I'm not familiar with the source material, so there may be an explaination for the story ending a bit too predictably, but I really enjoyed the film anyway. The characters were relatable for me. The production design and effects were superb, especially considering this was an independantly made film. I wish Star Wars was more like this, visually. I'm disappointed this got no love in the technical catagories at the oscars, I thought the visuals were terrific.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:33 am

Very pedantic especially considering you haven't seen it.

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:42 pm

I rewatched Teen Wolf for the 2nd time in recent memory, I believe I watched it last weekend :!:

I finally watched Christmas Vacation again tonight after christmas and in between my birthday and easter :!:

Mafwanix
Title Contender

Post by Mafwanix » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:21 pm

The Last Jedi (2017)

Mediocre film, doesn't have the re-watchability of even the prequel Star Wars films for me. See Star Wars thread.

The Little Hours (2017)

Good set up for a comedy, that falls flat when it tries to be more erotic than humorous. Had the potential to be pretty funny, but became overly crass. Story about some really nasty young nuns in a 15th century Italian convent run by an inept drunken priest who hires a handsome young gardener that the nuns take advantage of. One watch film.

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (2017)

I really liked this one. Kinda reverses the premise of the original Jumanji movie. Good acting, likable characters, plenty of action, nice themes throughout without beating you over the head with preaching. Uplifting, feel good ending, easily rewatchable, well done film.

Around the World in 80 Days (1956)

The big winner at the 1957 Academy Awards. Long 3 hour film is formatted unconventionally. Starts out with a documentary about the work of Jules Verne, and includes a few minutes of Melies' A Trip to the Moon. It then features a sequence of low earth orbit space footage before going into the main story. The rest of the movie is built as a string of vignettes interspersed with liberal amounts of travelogue style footage. After the last scene, it goes into a long animated title/credit sequence until the movie's title is actually the last thing shown.

This oddly constructed film may have been a great example of "doing something different" and "unpredictable" and all those other sort of platitudes, and it won The Best Picture Oscar, but it doesn't really hold up well today and is mostly forgotten. I'd go so far as to say it's slow, overlong and a bit boring. Consider, too, it beat De Mille's Ten Commandmants at the Oscars, a film still shown today regularly every Easter/Passover.

Nothing to miss here.

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:34 pm

I rewatched The Mask :!:
and
I rewatched - All I wanna do aka Strike :!: and the hairy bird (1998)

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:13 pm

Well I started a action movie dvd collection because I got a few nice ones
doesnt matter if its just action or comedy action but nothing to do with super heroes thow...

Is there any that any of you can recommend for me?

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:02 pm

I rewatched TMNT movie (2014)

Mafwanix
Title Contender

Post by Mafwanix » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:04 pm

A few things i watched recently:

Ghostbusters (2016)

This movie tried really hard to be funny, but just fell short on every level. I blame the writing; the actors involved are all very talented, but this film did not take their strengths into account and they were all really miscast in a poor story. Don't bother with this one.

On Borrowed Time (1939)

A sort of parable story about an old man who traps death in a tree, so he can spend more time with his orphaned grandson, who eventually sees way to letting nature take it's course. A minor classic? Some think so. OK for one watch.

Two Mules for Sister Sara (1970)

Mercenary Clint Eastwood is conned into helping some Mexican revolutionaries fight the colonial French by a prostitute Shirley Maclaine disguised as a nun. Well paced story with strong characters, plenty of action in the climax. Good film.

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Tue May 01, 2018 8:47 pm

I rewatched The Sandlot havnt seen it for a few years but it was just as good as I remember how I use to watch it over and over again :!: