Hall Of Famer

Re: "Last Film you watched" chain

Post by isrs4life » Mon May 07, 2018 3:00 pm

I rewatched 3 Ninja's for the 2nd time at my new place. :!:

Mafwanix
Title Contender

Post by Mafwanix » Wed May 09, 2018 10:54 pm

I DVRed a marathon of old Tarzan movies to watch. I already had a dvd box set of all the Johnny Weissmuller Tarzan films from the 30s and 40s, but only have one, Tarzan's Fight for Life (1958), from the 50s and 60s. Most of them I look forward to watching feature Lex Barker, who took over the role from Weissmuller in 1949.

Tarzan and the Lost Safari (1957)

This was the first color Tarzan film, with Gordon Scott playing the Ape man. It was also shot on location in Nairobi Africa, as opposed to the earlier films which were shot in a studio. Tarzan rescues the survivors of a plane crash, who are unknowingly being led by another white hunter they encounter, who plans to lead them to a savage tribe who wants them for sacrifices, in exchange for one of the girls. It was directed by H. Bruce Humberstone, who had done a bunch of the Charle Chan movies I also enjoy.

This one is pretty good, and not quite aimed at children like many of the late Weissmuller films. I have a soft spot for these old movies as a local station showed them every Sunday morning when I was a kid, and I read all the books in my youth as well.

Tarzan, Lord of the Movies (2017)

Documentary, basically recounting all the various actors who played Tarzan from silent films up to the 1990s, hosted by former Tarzan actor Gordon Scott.

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Sat May 12, 2018 7:16 pm

I rewatched License to drive on an early saturday night movie watching :!:

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Sun May 13, 2018 8:51 pm

I rewatched Just one of the guys

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Fri May 18, 2018 2:37 pm

Demolition Man (1993)

Mafwanix
Title Contender

Post by Mafwanix » Tue May 29, 2018 9:17 pm

Brick (2005)

First feature film by the guy who directed The Last Jedi. Slang vernacular dialog I was completely unfamiliar with made the story hard for me to follow, especially since it was heavily dialog based. Like TLJ, there seemed to be some story points that made little sense. Some people think this is a minor classic (I am not among them), so I wanted to give the film a fair shake. I watched it all the way through, although I was temped to turn it off as it didn't hold my interest much. One watch film. The art film fans are calling this neo-noir, although I wouldn't consider it a detective story.

The Bridge on the River Kwai
(1957)

Oscar winning film about British POWs in a WWII Japanese labor camp forced to build a railroad bridge. Good, classic film worth rewatching.

Dick Tracy's Dilemma (1947)

Third of four RKO films about the famous comic strip detective made in the 1940s. Pretty weak film, especially as it followed Dick Tracy vs. Cueball, which was the best of the series. The following film, Dick Tracy vs. Gruesome, was a bit better as the titled villian was played by Boris Karloff. Another one watch film.

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Thu May 31, 2018 8:23 pm

say maf do you have the tcm channel?

Mafwanix
Title Contender

Post by Mafwanix » Thu May 31, 2018 8:40 pm

yes. I watch it a lot.

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:13 am

Cool, I have seen quite a few movies on there as well.

I rewatched Happy Gilmore, late last night :)

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:36 pm

The Blues Brothers (1980)
Sisters (2015)

Mafwanix
Title Contender

Post by Mafwanix » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:39 pm

Fantastic Voyage (1966)

Fun Sci Fi movie from the 1960's. This film had a lot of impact on me as a kid. Story about shrinking a crew and craft and injecting it into a sick patient to fix brain damage. Lots of ground breaking special FX for the day, and starred Stephen Boyd and Raquel Welch. The novelization of the story was written by Isaac Asimov. Good film, but very dated and shows it's age.

Damnation Alley (1977)

Saw this originally in a drive in theater, when I was young. Based on the classic Sci Fi book by Roger Zelazny, a group of survivors of nuclear attack travel across a post apocalyptic USA in special all terrain vehicles to find other survivors. British space rock band Hawkwind did a song about this story, a favorite of mine. The vehicle was the real star of the film, specially made for the movie, and has appeared in other films, and is still functional and been restored. It was featured in an issue of Popular Science magazine. Pop Sci Landmaster Article

The Case Of The Lucky Legs (1935)
The Case of the Velvet Claws (1936)

Two films from a series of Perry Mason movies made in the 1930s, both starring Warren William. In Velvet Claws, Mason marries his secretary and solves a murder. Lucky Legs is the better of the two films, and has Mason solving the murder of a con artist who runs a beauty contest and makes off with the prize money.

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:02 pm

I rewatched Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion
Which I enjoyed watching and :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mafwanix
Title Contender

Post by Mafwanix » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:27 am

Allan Quatermain and the Lost City of Gold (1986)

Campy B grade action adventure typical of 1980's Golan-Globus films. A sort of sequel to their version of King Soloman's Mines remake from a year earlier, starring Richard Chamberlain and Sharon Stone. This film was purposely made to be very similar to, and cash in on the popularity of the Indiana Jones films. Lots of hammy acting and corny script that gets downright silly at times, but a fun film anyway.

Allan Quatermain and the Temple of Skulls (2008)

Direct to DVD "mockbuster" film made by The Asylum. These sort of films are their specialty; cheap, quickly made knock offs designed to cash in on other major film releases. In this case, the last Indiana Jones movie. Competently made, decent acting, but a totally bland story. Filmed on location in South Africa, you can tell it was made super cheap, and is not even much of a step beyond an amateur effort. The main actress is very pretty, and there is an extended scene of topless native women dancing around, but no real drama. Give this one a pass.

King Soloman's Mines (1937)

Early British made film. Didn't care much for this version of the story. Too many out of place musical numbers, meant to take advantage of top billed actor Paul Robeson's singing talents. Pass.

Congo (1995)

I think I've mentioned this one before, but I've always liked this film and it ties in as another film loosely based on King Soloman's Mines. A film I can easily enjoy rewatching, even though I know it is critically looked at quite negatively.

My first exposure to the tale of King Soloman's Mines was when I was a kid of about 8 years old. I had gotten my hands on a copy of the old comic book, Classics Illustrated, of this story, and it has always fascinated me and inspired many of my later interests.

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:17 pm

I rewatched Beverly Hills Cop 2 - Man I did not realize how EM use to be so funny and a while back
I had watched the first one then I realized today that some sequals are funner to watch if they were done right :!:
and I enjoyed an early thursday night movie :)

Mafwanix
Title Contender

Post by Mafwanix » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:29 pm

House of the Witch (2017)

Surprisingly good horror film. A made for TV film from SyFy channel. Better then some of the other genre films I've seen in the last few months. Ending was a bit anti-climatic, but worth a watch.

The Puppetoon Movie (1987)

A compilation of early stop motion animation shorts made by pioneering filmmaker George Pal in the 1930's and 40's. Interesting retrospective of ground breaking film techniques, although there are some segments that today would be considered a bit racist. Times were different then. As some one who has dabbled with film animation, though, I can appreciate the work involved here.

The Leech Woman (1960)

One of Universal's later horror/thriller films. Unlikable characters doing unlikable things, in a fun movie I remember seeing as a kid.

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:49 pm

Beverly Hills Cop III

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:32 pm

I rewatched one of rocks classics Walking Tall :!:

Mafwanix
Title Contender

Post by Mafwanix » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:48 pm

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968)

I was just in the mood for something whimsical, and this came on. Another film from my childhood, that I remember seeing in a theater. Learned a few things I never realized about this film. Written by Ian Fleming, yes, the same guy who wrote the James Bond stories. The Screenplay was done by Roald Dahl, who also wrote Charlie and The Chocolate Factory, and the musical number were by the Sherman brothers, recently honored for lifetime achievement, well known for the music in many beloved Disney films. A little silly at times, but a fun movie.

I once had a Matchbox toy of the car. It had working wings!

Oz the Great and Powerful (2013)

Decided to revisit this film, as I'm at the chapter in Bruce Campbell's Hail to The Chin! book where he writes about his experiences with it. I always thought it was a well done movie. As a Disney film, I never realized (or maybe I'd forgotten?) it was directed by Sam Raimi, who'se work I like.

Speaking of Bruce Campbell: Ash Vs. Evil Dead Season 3 disc release August 21! Groovy!

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:37 pm

I watched Brewster's Millions (1985) from Netflix :!:

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:00 pm

I rewatched Turner and Hooch (1989) for the first time in a long time and I enjoyed it from Netflix :!: